Reach Us

Will I have to pay my attorney?

Posted on: November 5, 2012
The Longshore and Defense Base Act laws are complicated. An attorney that is a specialist in this area will help you figure out the benefits that you are eligible for and assist with finding doctors or medical providers if that is an issue. When the insurer does not pay voluntarily and the lawyer wins benefits for you, the attorney should be paid by the insurer not you.   Always look for attorneys that are experienced with Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation matters.

Does my employer have to carry insurance?

Posted on: November 5, 2012
Yes. The Longshore Act and DBA require every employer (including contractors and subcontractors) either to secure insurance for the payment of workers’ compensation benefits provided under the Act or to be approved to self-insure. If a subcontractor fails to pay ordered compensation, the contractor will be liable and will be required to pay such benefits. Currently three major insurance carriers provide most of the Defense Base Act insurance coverage. They are ACE USA, American International Group (AIG), and CNA.

What if my lawyer or I cannot resolve my claim with the Employer or Insurance Carrier directly?

Posted on: November 5, 2012
The initial part of your claim is handled informally with the Department of Labor serving as a mediator.  If an issue arises, your case will be set for an informal conference with a representative of the Department of Labor, the Employer/Carrier, the Claimant, and  Claimant’s attorney.  Claims that cannot be resolved informally, will be referred to  the Office of Administrative Law Judges (OALJ) for formal hearing.  This is an actual trial in front of a Judge.  Here you will be asked to testify with other possible witnesses and doctors’ medical evidence will be offered.   The Judge alone will decide your case. Decisions by an administrative law judge may be appealed to the Benefits Review Board and to the federal courts.

How do I obtain death benefits?

Posted on: November 5, 2012
A written notice of the employee’s death is given to the employer within 30 days. A claim for compensation must be filed with the OWCP office having jurisdiction of your claim within one year after the date of the employee’s death.

How long do I have to file a claim for compensation based on my injury?

Posted on: November 5, 2012
The carrier must be given Notice of Injury within 30 days of the date of accident or  the time in which you new that an injury had occurred.  A written claim for compensation must be filed  with the Department of Labor, OWCP district office having jurisdiction of your claim within one year after the date of injury or last payment of compensation, whichever is later.  For instance, if your are receiving compensation and the Employer terminates payment of  compensation, you have one year to file a Claim from the date that you last received compensation.   The time for filing claims in certain occupational disease cases is two years.  However, as to medical benefits, typically there is no Statute of Limitations.

How do I obtain compensation for my disability?

Posted on: November 5, 2012
If you are disabled more than 3 days, contact your employer or the insurance company for payment of compensation, which must be paid 14 days after your employer has knowledge of the injury and claim for benefits. If payments are contested or withheld call  our firm at 305-373-9091.

Do I have any control over my medical care?

Posted on: November 5, 2012
As mentioned above, you are entitled to be treated by a physician of your own selection.  It is important that you stick with a physician that will handle your case appropriately and not be at the whim of the Employer/Carrier.  DO NOT sign any forms which waive your right to or designate a physician as your choice of physician.  Occasionally, these forms are given to you by a port doctor at the time of a drug test.  Read any forms that the Employer/Carrier or physician gives you to sign.  If you have a doubt, do not sign it and consult an attorney.

What should I do if I get injured on the job?

Posted on: November 5, 2012
You should notify your employer immediately within thirty days once you think you have a work injury. Additional time for reporting may be given for hearing loss injuries.  Generally,  a Notice of Injury must be completed within thirty days of the date of accident.  If you need medical treatment, ask your employer to authorize treatment by a doctor of your own choice. You are entitled to choose your treating physician.  Initially, your employer or the insurance carrier may send you to a  physician for an initial examination or for a drug test.  It is important that you do not sign any forms which might designate any physician as your own choice of physician.  Furthermore, you should not agree to give a statement or a taped interview to anyone.

Are there any payment provisions that apply only to aliens and non-U.S. residents?

Posted on: November 5, 2012

  • Cases involving aliens and non-U.S. residents can be settled by a lump sum for benefits for permanent disability and death. In such cases, a one-time lump sum payment may be issued by the employer/carrier representing half of the present value of future compensation as determined by the OWCP district director. Medical benefits may not be settled by this lump sum.
  • Death benefits may be paid only to the surviving spouse or child or children, or if no surviving spouse or child or children, to dependent parents.


What types of benefits are available under the LHWCA or DBA?

Posted on: November 5, 2012
The LHWCA and Defense Base Act provide disability and medical benefits to covered employees injured in the course of employment and death benefits to eligible survivors of employees killed in the course of employment. Compensation for total disability is two-thirds of the employee’s average weekly earnings, up to a current maximum weekly benefit which is usually inflated annually. Compensation is also payable for partial loss of earnings or a loss of earning capacity for certain types of injuries. Impairment Benefits are also available for injuries to your upper or lower extremities.

Death benefits are paid at the rate of one-half of the employee’s average weekly earnings to a surviving spouse or one child, or two-thirds of average weekly earnings for two or more eligible survivors up to the current maximum rate of $1,047.16 per week. The Defense Base Act also incorporates the LHWCA’s provision for payment of reasonable funeral expenses.

Permanent total disability and death benefits may be payable for life, and are subject to annual cost of living adjustments. The LHWCA minimum benefits rate, however, does not apply to DBA claims.

After an injury is at maximum medical improvement the worker is entitled to ongoing permanent or partial benefits or a schedule award for the body part or hearing loss as determined by the Act. These determinations can be complex and a competent attorney must advise you on this aspect.

The injured employee is also entitled to medical treatment by a physician of his/her choice, as the injury may require.

Older Posts »
  • Handling Case Nationwide

    Defense Contractors injured overseas, we will represent you no matter where you live.

News & Events

October 31, 2012
News & Events Post 1

Defense Base Act and Longshore Newsletter   Read the most recent Newsletter.   Silverstein and Silverstein 25 Southeast 2nd...

October 31, 2012
News Post 2

Defense Base Act and Longshore News and Recent Case Rulings   Supreme Court Rules in Roberts v. Sea-Land Services,...