Reach Us

What are the MMI and permanent impairment rating?

Posted on: November 16, 2012
At the conclusion of your treatment with a doctor, our Miami, Florida car and motorcycle accident lawyers will request a final narrative of your condition. Once a physician has decided you are at Maximum Medical Improvement (MMI), some doctor’s assign, and insurance company’s request, a permanent impairment rating. It does not mean that you are back to the physical or mental condition you were at prior to the accident. It simply means your condition has stabilized and you have a loss. This is generally done pursuant to American Medical Association (AMA) guidelines. A permanent impairment rating technically is not called for as a basis at trial in an automobile case, but many automobile insurance companies like to have the impairment rating so they can evaluate the case.

Who pays for a rental car while my car is being repaired?

Posted on: November 16, 2012
If you caused the accident, most policies don’t provide coverage for a rental vehicle unless you buy this additional coverage. If another party was responsible for the accident, the insurance company for the person who caused the wreck is required to provide you with a rental car. If the other driver is at fault, we will demand that the insurance company for the person who caused the accident provide you with a rental car for the time needed to repair your vehicle. Sometimes, you must pay the rental car bill first, with reimbursement coming from the insurance company later.

Does my auto insurance cover my motorcycle accident?

Posted on: November 16, 2012
Many motorcycle owners believe that they will be covered by their automobile insurance if they are involved in a crash. Unfortunately, this is not the case. In Florida, insurance is not required for the owner and rider of a motorcycle. Furthermore, the PIP coverage a motorcycle owner may have on his car will not cover the owner if injured on a motorcycle. Our Miami, Florida auto accident lawyers can help answer more of your questions concerning motorcycle accidents.

I have full coverage, why am I not covered?

Posted on: November 16, 2012
Full coverage, while it can mean a variety of things, does not automatically imply that bodily injury is covered. Contact your insurance company for clarification on your insurance coverage.

How long will it take to bring my auto accident case to a conclusion?

Posted on: November 16, 2012
The complexity of the accident as well as the particular injuries sustained will determine the time frame of the outcome. We resolve our client’s cases based on an understanding of their current and future medical conditions. Once our law firm becomes involved, the average car or auto accident case is resolved within eight to 12 months.

How much is my auto accident case worth?

Posted on: November 16, 2012
This question is difficult to answer as it depends on many factors:

· If someone else’s negligence caused the auto accident and resulted in injuries, one of our lawyers can help you obtain any payment you are entitled to for your medical bills plus compensation for pain and suffering. This would include past and future medical bills.
· If you were seriously injured and missed time from work, you may be entitled to compensation for lost wages or loss of earning capacity in the future. Our proven Miami, Florida auto accident lawyers can help you retain such compensation.
There is no proven formula to determine exactly how much a case is worth. It will depend on how the evidence and testimony dictate the case. Because of our record of trying these types of cases, our firm is able to determine a general value for your claim. One of our Miami, Florida auto accident lawyers will obtain medical records and bills and will analyze the client’s condition since the injury in order to provide an estimated value.

Do I have to purchase any extra insurance on the rental car?

Posted on: November 16, 2012
The insurance company will not pay for extra insurance you purchase from the car rental company. Your own insurance carrier should cover you while driving the rental car. Call your insurance agent to be sure you are covered while driving the rental car.

What should I do if I am in a car, auto, or motorcycle accident?

Posted on: November 16, 2012
Following a car, auto, or motorcycle accident, it is important to call the police and seek medical treatment. Keep in mind that the shock of being in a collision may hide any pain until hours or even days later. Our Miami, Florida motorcycle and car accident lawyers have compiled a complete list of what to do after a car or auto accident. Most importantly, before you speak to the at-fault driver’s insurance company about your injury, contact an attorney to discuss your accident.

How long can my insurance company take to settle my claim?

Posted on: November 16, 2012
From the time your insurance company receives notice of the loss, they are allowed 30 calendar days to settle your first party claim. The time may be extended if you fail to cooperate with them or they need to conduct additional investigation, but the company must provide you with written notice explaining the reason if the claim settlement process takes longer than 30 days.

Does my insurance company have to use new parts to repair my car?

Posted on: November 16, 2012
The insurance company is obligated to restore your vehicle to the same condition it was in before the accident. Because your car was probably not new, the mechanic may use refurbished or reconditioned parts. Sometimes this requires the use of original equipment manufacturer (OEM) parts and sometimes after-market parts can be used. After-market parts are parts made by a manufacturer other than the original manufacturer. If your vehicle is being repaired with newer parts, your company doesn’t have to pay for this “betterment.” For example, if your vehicle’s transmission is five years old and is damaged due to a covered loss, your insurer would only have to replace it with a five-year-old transmission. If a five-year-old transmission can’t be found, the repair shop could use a new transmission but you’d have to pay the difference between the value of a five-year-old transmission and a new transmission.
Older Posts »
  • Handling Case Nationwide

    Defense Contractors injured overseas, we will represent you no matter where you live.

News & Events

October 31, 2012
News & Events Post 1

Defense Base Act and Longshore Newsletter   Read the most recent Newsletter.   Silverstein and Silverstein 25 Southeast 2nd...

October 31, 2012
News Post 2

Defense Base Act and Longshore News and Recent Case Rulings   Supreme Court Rules in Roberts v. Sea-Land Services,...